Estimated Read Time: 4 ½ minutes
Summary: In this blog, we learn whether you can give dogs paracetamol for pain, swelling and/or arthritis and if dogs can take aspirin, ibuprofen and other over-the-counter (OTC) medications…
As tempting as it is to give your dog ibuprofen or aspirin when you suspect they’re in pain, it’s imperative that you don’t as this can be a very dangerous experience for dogs! We as humans are used to self-diagnosing and self-administering over-the-counter pain relief but just because we’re confident in helping ourselves and our other human friends, the same rules, unfortunately, do not apply to our furry companions…
Before you even think about pain relief, you need to know for certain if your dog is experiencing pain. If they are they may:
Dogs are excellent at masking their pain, so even just appearing tired, slow or not themselves can be a big indicator something major is wrong.
No. Under any circumstances, it is not advisable to give your dog ibuprofen - even in cases of arthritis pain.
Ibuprofen and Naproxen are very common anti-inflammatories administered to humans to aid and reduce inflammation and pain. But, these drugs are very toxic for both dogs and cats to consume. A simple 200mg ibuprofen tablet can permanently cause damage to their internal organs (namely kidneys and stomach) and can even bring about internal bleeding.
In short, you can’t and you shouldn’t. Both dogs and cats can have adverse reactions to aspirin. An adult aspirin (which is around 320mg) can be incredibly toxic to a dog of just 5kg. Aspirin can also cause ulcers to occur in your pet’s stomach.
No, dogs cannot take paracetamol either. It can be toxic and fatal to dogs and cats, more so for the latter. Paracetamol can cause severe, irreversible damage to the liver, kidneys and wreak havoc on their red blood cells. The damage paracetamol can do can even lead to the death of the dog.
However, this medication can be confusing for pet parents as there is a veterinary formula that includes paracetamol which is safe for dogs to take. But, your vet will only prescribe this formula under certain, extreme circumstances. More often than not, they’ll prescribe a different medication that’s completely safe for dogs to take.
If your dog has been given, stolen or gotten into a pill container, you need to contact your vet as a matter of urgency. If the vets are closed, your pup must be seen by an emergency vet. Signs that your dog is experiencing a toxic reaction can include:
Symptoms usually happen 1-4 hours after the medication has been swallowed. The symptoms will, in most cases, just worsen without treatment.
It’s imperative that pet parents don’t administer their pets medication designed for humans. If your dog is in pain they must be seen by a vet and get a proper diagnosis and treatment for the precise condition. There are several drugs that have been designed specifically for dogs and made to help safely reduce their pain.
Giving your dog non-prescribed, human medication can cause them to be incredibly unwell, and in some cases cause irreversible damage to their internal, major organs and can even sometimes result in their death. It’s simply not worth it. Always get a dog that appears unwell looked over by a professional, qualified veterinarian.